I believe that Mediazone is the perfect place to get firsthand experience on how film and video production works. It is a great environment to have alongside my studies and a place made up of hard working, passionate and amazing people.
But of course nothing in this world is perfect and Mediazone is no exception. Every semester we improve, becoming better and more efficient. But let’s talk about three things that would improve Mediazone even more. One could only dream…
One way to improve the Mediazone facilities and experience is to change the design of the facilities in order to enhance the creativity of students, lab assistants and administrators. The workplace means a lot to people. If they are exposed to a more interesting physical space, it could give them a feeling of happiness and excitement. As a result, people produce better work. To give an example; large companies like Google spend a lot of time and effort to make their offices look colorful, joyful and inspiring. This motivates people to enjoy their time while working and work more efficiently, as well as be more creative.
What could we do? If you look at the google offices, you will notice that they are very colorful and bright. It all started with original Google colors but as time passed, they have expanded the color range. We all know that bright and vibrant colors make us smile more and feel better. Consequently, when people are happy and excited, they can work in more interesting ways.
In Mediazone facilities we could paint walls in different vibrant colors and add a few more lights inside facilities so there would be even better lighting. For instance, blue helps us relax while orange can make us feel uplifted. In any case, colors could be mixed and matched to create the perfect mood for each of the rooms. Also you could notice that in Google offices there are some funky designed props around. Starting from interesting chairs and letters that say one word if you look one direction and another one if you look from another side, to rooms that have grass and trees in them. All this helps people that enter these facilities to have more a playful mood and this really helps with creative work.
So how about some funny, film related posters or to place some neon signs in the facilities. The possibilities are really endless! Furthermore, rooms in Google offices differ from each other. People need to change their environment to feel excited and regenerate their energy. That’s why we need vacations. It was shown by the Applied Cognitive Psychology Journal study that people need to change their routine and location every now and then! So, what could be done in Mediazone, is to give every room its own theme? Rooms could be dedicated to animated characters or to different eras of film production. This way, we would all have a variety in Mediazone facilities which will definitely inspire us!
A final point for this blog post would be about educating students and lab assistants even more. In some Google offices there are hallways with bookshelves on the side. So, it would be awesome if Mediazone would have a little library of its own where we could find good books on film to check out. Imagine if you came to check out a camera and got interested in a book. Bonus! Efficient , interesting and inspiring!
By making Mediazone facilities more colorful, introducing some interesting props and giving an individual theme to each room and even making a small curated library, Mediazone would actually enhance an already great place to be!
Mediazone Student Lab Assistant
- ProSky – Learn Skills, Do Projects, Get Hired by Amazing Companies. (2020). How Changing Your Environment Can Benefit Productivity Levels. [online] Available at: https://careerbuzz.prosky.co/articles/how-a-change-in-environment-can-benefit-your-productivity
- Workspace Design & Build. (2020). What can we learn from Google’s offices about workplace design? – Workspace Design & Build. [online] Available at: https://www.workspacedesign.co.uk/what-can-we-learn-from-googles-offices-about-workplace-design/
- com. (2020). Four Things That Make Google’s Offices So Googly – Office Snapshots. [online]. Available at: https://officesnapshots.com/articles/what-makes-googles-offices-so-googly/
- ru. (2020). how google designed workspaces – Google Search. [online]. Available at: https://www.google.ru/search?q=how+google+desighned+workspaces&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-ru&client=safari
- Sargent, K. (2020). Google Didn’t “Get it Wrong”: A Deeper Look into that Recent WaPo Piece about Open Offices. [online] Work Design Magazine. Available at: https://www.workdesign.com/2015/01/google-didnt-get-wrong-deeper-look-recent-wapo-piece-open-offices/
- Verywell Mind. (2020). Can Color Affect Your Mood and Behavior? [online] Available at: https://www.verywellmind.com/color-psychology-2795824